Is anyone besides me looking forward to the fourth of July? It will be my next chance to get friends and family together so I’m really excited. I’m going to pull together a simple backyard barbeque and make my favorite flavored iced tea. Blueberry iced tea is summery, easy to make and super refreshing.
I make Southern Blueberry Sweet Tea two ways, one using raw cane sugar the other using regular sugar.
To make it all you need is:
- 1 cup of cane sugar
- 6 Lipton Green Tea Purple Acai Blueberry tea bags
- 1 1/2 cups of blueberries
- 1 cup of water
1. In a small pan combine the sugar, water and 1 cup of blueberries. Bring to a boil until liquid thickens to a syrup. Strain off the blueberries and your simple syrup in the refrigerator and let it cool.
2. Next bring six cups of water to a boil, then add in the tea bags. Allow them to steep for five minutes, remove tea bags, then place tea in the refrigerator to cool.
3. Now, take two to four berries place them into the openings in your ice tray. Cover completely with water and freeze.
4. Once the cubes are frozen you can construct your blueberry tea.
5. Begin by filling the bottom of your pitcher with the blueberry ice cubes. Next pour in the blueberry simple syrup and blueberry tea. Now stir.
6. I like to garnish mine with extra fresh berries, but you could even add mint.
Traditional southern sweet tea will always be around, but if there is ever a time when you want to surprise your guest with something new with less calories, this is the recipe.
The light layers of fruity berry in the tea, syrup, ice and the garnish will knock their socks off.