This is the Cheesiest Grilled Cheese and Spinach Sandwich recipe you’ll find on the web!
Ever since I was a little girl I have loved grilled cheese sandwiches and milk. My dad would make this lunch for me on summer afternoons regularly combining my favorite sandwich with different ingredients like bacon or jam.
Oh, you’ve never had a grilled cheese and jam sandwich?
You are missing out. I thought it would be gross too and begged my dad not to destroy my favorite sandwich by adding jam, but he told me to trust him. When I tasted the weird combo it took my love is grilled cheese sandwiches to a new level. Now that I’m an adult I still want to enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich, but without the extra sugar or processed cheese product. Now when making grilled cheese I only use 100% cows milk cheese and swap add ins like bacon or jam for healthier alternatives. My version of the grilled cheese sandwich incorporates 100% cows milk dairy products, that are free from pesticides, and provides me a simple way to get the protein, calcium, vitamin A and vitamin D I need to have an amazing day.
To make my childhood favorite better for me, I swapped the sweet and salty add ins with fresh baby spinach leaves. I choose the highest quality cheeses and farm to table butters I can find. I live in the south so dairy farms are literally a short drive from me.
With better for me ingredients I was able to turn a childhood favorite into something I could enjoy and still stick to my healthy resolutions.
- Havarti Cheese
- Smoked Provolone Cheese
- softened butter
- sliced whole grain bread
- fresh baby spinach leaves
- Heat a grilled on medium high. Place a slice of Havarti and Smoked Provolone Cheese on a slices of bread.
- Top with fresh baby spinach leaves. Add another slice of Havarti and Smoked Provolone Cheese and top with a slice of bread.
- Using the softened butter, spread a thin layer on the top of the bread and place the buttered side face down on the hot griddle.
- Butter the side of the bread that's facing up.
- Brown the sandwich on both sides (approximately 5 minutes per side). Slice the sandwich in half while it's still hot and the cheeses are soft.